Life, The Universe and Small Things all covered in one friendly blog.
Remember DON'T PANIC! .

09 March, 2008

ID Cards

The Home Secretary is trying to tell us all how wonderful ID cards will be in the UK and being the out of touch person that she is has given details of how they will now be introduced.
The first people who will need them, she says, are those that work air side at airports. Funny but it strikes me as these are the last people who will need them because they have already had security checks and carry their own form of ID card.
Next students will be getting them, her reasoning behind this is that once students have them their parents will see how useful they are and say "hey my son has an ID card I would really like one too". Probably in the same way as a parent sees their child with spots and says "gee I must get some" or a student loan they stand no chance of ever being free of.

There are now suggestion that if you don't have an ID card you will be able to use you new style passport as identification. Hold on a minute, identification for what?
I carry my passport when as the name implies I am going to pass through a port and leave the country. I don't as a matter of routine carry it when I say, go for a walk into town or shop in Sainsburys.
Are there proposals to make me carry some form of government issued ID all the time.
Jacqui Smith is on a different planet than reality and we can only hope in time she will be moved to a more appropriate role of making coffee maybe, but I can't help but wonder how long it will be before she announces new legislation allowing police to stop me in the street and demand "VERE ARE YOUR PAPERS" and bundling me into a black van when I don't produce my passport within 10 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment